Sunday, September 4, 2016

Onipa'a: Celebrating a Queen's birthday

This past Sunday was quite the eventful day.

First, we went to church. We're really enjoying the Lanakila Ward. Talk about "aloha," these folks have welcomed us warmly. Sorry, no pics.

Then, we left church a little bit early to participate in the Onipa'a celebration at Iolani Palace. Some well-placed Facebook messages got us the chance to sing with the choir, directed by Aunty Nola Nahulu. First time for Isaac to sing Hawaiian choral music, and to get to do so with Aunty Nola? Pretty cool. No, I cannot use the "mouth the words" technique in this choir like I did in MoTab. Fortunately, unfortunately, I'll let others be the judge of that.

We got to be a part of the celebration of Queen Liliuokalani's birthday. BTW, in case anyone was wondering, our Lydia was named with the queen in mind, since her given Christian name was Lydia. Bit of Chock family trivia for you...



Then Isaac opened his mission call. I'll post that in a separate post.

Finally, we ended the day with dinner at the Ishikawas' house. They are like my second (third? fourth?) mom and dad here in Hawaii. As usual, they had quite the spread.

Unfortunately, I was too busy eating and talking story to bother taking pictures of the food. Although I'm sure you can imagine, it was great. Love the Ishikawas. They're going to visit Charlie, one of my best friends from high school, for the next month and a half. Charlie lives in Boston with his family.

Busy Sunday!

No comments: