Wednesday, December 7, 2016

A hui hou Elder Chock...

Last night we said our last good-byes to Isaac, now Elder Chock, at the Honolulu International Airport.  We know he'll be a great missionary and will bless the lives of the people of Buenos Aires. That knowledge doesn't make it easier to say "a hui hou."

The hardest part for me was hearing my other kids cry real tears of sadness for seeing him go. I get misty right now thinking back to Lydia, James, and Angela sobbing at different points last night. Rebecca held herself together pretty well, but I know today she's pouring herself into housework to distract herself. And then there's Maile and me. I think we are alike in how we hold back the crying thing as best we can. But I also know we both are very much going to miss that knucklehead.


Rebecca and I took Isaac..er, Elder Chock to the temple in Lā‘ie yesterday morning. We enjoyed having some time together in the House of the Lord. We actually got to see our friend Kealaula Haverly in there too, he's leaving for his mission by the end of December.


Mom holding it together as we say our farewells at the TSA line.




They have some special handshakes they've worked on. Maybe this will help them remember them for when he comes home.



No tears. Yet. Ahem.






Elder Chock was playing with Lydia. I didn't catch video of it, but I'm sure those of you who know Elder Chock can imagine it: he was dancing, doing the robot, goose stepping, just being goofy through the line. Lydia of course was loving it and giggling. Until she couldn't see him anymore.

Rebecca and I didn't want to just take the other kids home after that. Needed some kind of buffer, a distraction, whatever.



We went to see Moana in Mililani so we could drop Maile off in Wahiawa right after. We even got the kids popcorn, which we normally don't do. I guess that's indicative of the stupor we were in after seeing Elder Chock off.

I think it worked. Mostly. For the time we were in the movie.

Only 730 days left until he comes back. Not too long...right?




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking a lot about you guys this week. It's such a bittersweet experience! Nothing like knowing your son is in the right place at the right time! He will bless many! It will be and amazing two years for Isaac and your whole family as well. Love and miss you all!
Cari :)